History will tell us that coconut oil is being used for thousand of years. A lot of documented accounts will prove that it is widely used as a source of food and medicine by people of diverse cultures around the globe.
Some examples are listed below:
· India- Coconut oil is an important part of Ayurvedic medicine, an "alternative" medical practice that is said to be 5000 years old. This method of healing claims to be the traditional medicine of India.
· Panama-Inhabitants of this region drink a glass of coconut oil to protect themselves from illness. Consuming coconut oil is also believed to speed recovery from sickness.
· Jamaica-Coconut oil is used as a health tonic regarded to be beneficial for the heart. It is usually the first medicine to be given in whatever type of illness.
· Nigeria, Somalia, Ethiopia- An oil that is very similar to coconut oil (palm kernel oil) is the most popular traditional remedy. The oil can provide relief and cure from almost all kinds of illnesses.
· Samoa- Native healers of Samoan island use coconut oil as a remedy for sickness and injury. Samoan mothers on the other hand massaged their children’s whole body with coconut oil. The child will have strong bones and healthy skin free from infections and blemishes. The soft spot in the infants head is gently massaged with a few drops of coconut oil, believed to prevent illness. Teething babies are also massaged with coconut oil to ease pain.
· Thailand, Sri Lanka- Coconut oil is the main oil used in cooking. Coconut milk and cream makes up most of their diet. The oil is commonly used as cosmetics and medicine.
· Central and South America- In the coastal jungles of this region, traditional healers use coconut oil to nourish the ill back to health. It is used as food and medicine.
· Philippines- Putting coconut oil on hair keeps it shiny, thick and black even in old age. It can also speed the healing of burns, cuts, bruises, and broken bones. It is massaged into aching joints and muscles.
· Zanzibar-Coconut oil is not only used for candle making, it also serves as a diesel fuel and provides lighting.
· Indonesia-Women apply coconut oil on their hair and body to keep their hair and skin healthy. It is also used for cooking purposes.